Friday, February 13, 2009

Pain Doc Appointment and Happy Friday the 13th!

I had my second appointment with the pain doctor today and it went very well. He now believes that I have fractured more than two ribs and also ruptured more than one disc since the area where most of my pain is is bigger than he thought. He said most of my left side is as hard as a rock because the injuries are causing my muscles to spasm as a result, but I told him that although I am in a lot of pain, I have somewhat gotten used to it since this has been going on for about 6 weeks now. I told him I am in the most pain at night and he said that is to be expected. His course of action is to put me on the strongest dose of vicodine that he can, so now instead of taking two every night, I will only take one. In addition, he wrote a prescription for a pain patch that I am to wear every day that he says will serve as a local anesthetic. He would really like to provide me with weekly injections, but the injections contain a steriod that is obviously not safe for the baby. The pain meds and the patch should get me through to the labor and birth of the baby and then if my back doesn't start to get better a couple of weeks after I have Peyton, he wants to see me again and order some xrays and an MRI. I think once the baby gets here everything will be fine. He just told me that for the next three weeks I need to take it easy: don't lift anything over 10 lbs, try not to bend over (especially to my left), no strenuous exercise--but my elliptical is ok to still use since it's low impact, etc. This is the part of pregnancy that I don't like because my body just can't handle the extra weight at this point and I have to just do nothing until the baby gets here. Those of you who know how active I am and how much I LOVE to work-out, know that these kinds of "doctor's orders" drive me nuts! But I'll do what I'm told just in order to get Miss Peyton here safely in a few weeks....but then I'm starting my two-a-days dang it! Ha! I hope you all have some really creepy plans for Friday the 13th tonight (Hayden and I are going to watch a spooky Scooby-Doo!) and I hope that everyone has a nice Valentines Day tomorrow!
Talk to you soon!
-S

0 comments: