Saturday, January 3, 2009

2009 started with a bang!!...or a rather painful snap....

New Years Day I was trying to read Hayden a book and I coughed really hard and felt and heard something on the left side of my back snap and dropped to the floor in quite a bit of pain. I thought I pulled a muscle a couple of weeks ago and my back had been a little sore, but when I coughed WOW did it hurt! Long story short, we pretty much spent the night in the ER because I was in such pain that I could breathe or stand upright or put any pressure at all on the left side of my body without being in absolute agony. SO....after about a 24 hour peroid of tests and meds and exams, the ER doctor and my OBGYN determined that I have at least one ruptured disc, I have torn my intercostal muscle, and could also have a broken rib. They can't be 100% certain of all of this because the tests they can run on me are limited due to the baby, but according to the amount of pain I am in and what they saw from examining my back they are pretty sure that is what has happened. So as of now I am on pain meds and muscle relaxers and will probably be on them throughout the remainder of the pregnancy. Usually ruptured discs heal on their own, but because there will only continue to be more and more pressure put on my back as I continue to grow for the next 10 weeks until I have the baby, I may not feel any better until after Peyton is born. But the good news is that as long as I stay on top of my meds, I can move around pretty well as long as I don't put any weight on my left side. So....that was our memorable New Years! Ha! Never a dull moment in the Cox household!

0 comments: