Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Changes

As soon as I went back to work from my maternity leave on June 1, my company had announced that there would be a lot of lay-offs happening in June due to the bad economy. One of the things I love most about Zachry is that they put their people first. It's a very employee friendly company and from what I understand, it has always been so. When several companies had to lay-off thousands of people in the fall, Zachry did everything it could to avoid this very outcome until they had no other choice and I respect Zachry for that. The lay-offs finally happened today and unfortunately my position (along with a few hundred others) was eliminated. I know that it was just a job, but for me the people there were my other family and I am going to miss them all very much. I learned so much during my time there about the law, the construction industry, marketing, and just business in general. I can honestly say that I worked with the best group of people that anyone could ever ask to work with, especially "the crew." Desri, Kim, Stephanie, Trish, Cyndie and I were all really close and I consider them all my best friends at Zachry and just some very dear friends in general. I am really going to miss those crazy ladies. We all knew this was coming, but of course we didn't know who it was going to be or when it would happen so we decided to have a "last supper," if you will, on the Friday before last and we took this picture together I have posted below.

From left to right: Desri, Trish, Me, Kim, Stephanie, and Cyndie


I know that everything happens for a reason, but I won't lie and say this doesn't sting, because it does, but I can say that I know good things will come from this. Now I can decide what to do next; whether it's finishing up my Master's Degree and work part time while doing that, or getting a teaching certificate and teaching junior high or high school English while I finish my Masters and then try to get a job as a professor at a junior college, or going into other areas of marketing, or even starting my own business from home. I have been blessed with the most supportive and loving husband, the sweetest children, the most caring and encouraging family, and the best friends a girl could hope for, so I know that I have so many things to rejoice about in my life.

This is a bump in the road for my family right now, and just another plot twist in my story of life and I will make the best of it, after I cry a little, but then I'll dust myself off, wipe my eyes, and keep on going. I'm looking forward to all the new doors that will open for me as a result of what has happened.

I do ask that all of you please pray for the rest of the employees who were let go and their families because there were so many who had to leave. Also, please pray for those who are still there and have to learn how to move on without some of their best friends or co-workers whom they have known and worked with for years. As much as I didn't like being in my shoes today, I have to admit that I would rather be in my shoes than be in the shoes of those who had to let their employees go today, so I ask that you pray for them too.

I am very much looking forward to the future and all that it may hold for me and my family.

Love to you all,
S:)

0 comments: