Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Hurricane Ike

By now I know that all of you have seen some of the destruction that Ike left in its path this past weekend. Of course the Texas Gulf Coast, primarily Houston/Gavleston/Beaumont areas were hit first and very hard by the storm. By the looks of things on the news it will take some time before life returns to normal for those people. And while my heart truly goes out to all of those in the Houston area (Davin and I both have family who lives there, I really feel for all the people in the little towns northeast all the to Texarkana who were slammed by this storm too! Lufkin, Dibol, Livingston, and Nacogdoches (to name a few) were destroyed by this storm. My parents, aunt Catherine, and brother have been without power since early Saturday morning. It too two and a half days before my family could leave the house because their cars were blocked by huge power lines that had fallen at the end of the driveway. On house up the street from my parents was COMPLETELY decimated by an enormous oak tree...I mean it is GONE! My parents have huge tree limbs on top of their carport, the electric boxes on their house and their neighbor's house were completely ripped out of the bricks, the roof to one of the oldest buildings in Nacogdoches has been peeled completely back and is resting in the parking lot! Words cannot begin to describe the devastation so I have posted this web site below for you all to look at some of the pictures of what Nacogdoches looks like. Schools may start tomorrow but no one knows for sure yet, and who knows when anyone will get power because the bulk of the elcletric crews have been dispatched to Houston so all of the little towns have to "wait their turn." I think that's just awful! I'm not saying that people in Houston don't need to get up and running quickly too, I just think that we should be better prepared and better equipped to handle situations like this so that if this were to happen again, there would be enough crews to concentrate on EVERY area that has been effected, whether it be an urban area, or rural. Please keep all of those who have been through this storm in your thoughts and prayers and let us all hope that everyone gets power, water, food, shelter, etc. as soon as possible!
Love,
Spencer






http://www.dailysentinel.com/news/content/news/slideshows/ike091408/index.html

0 comments: