Thursday, August 28, 2008

Family Update and a Little Meditation

Hi guys! Well, like most of you I'm sure, my family is now in full-swing for the fall!! Davin just had his annual Texas Deer Association Convention he attended last week and now he has a VERY full schedule through Christmas that will consist of working deer (immunizing them, cutting off antlers, etc.) doing some more consulting, and beginning the artificial insemination appointments he has scheduled for this year. So basically he will be traveling quite a bit over the next 4 months or so. I'm so proud of him and all he has accomplished in such a short time; he has been actively working in the whitetail deer industry for 12+ years now and has made so many contributions to his field and is truly respected by all of his colleagues. He has also spent over 8 years being an awesome partner with me, over 5 years as a wonderful husband, and almost 2 years as the best daddy in the world! (Sorry, but I'm a little bit proud of what a great man he is!) Hayden will start a new curriculum at his day school next week which will be fun! He is already talking in sentences, counting to ten, memorizing books and nursery rhymes that we say together, and his motor skills are off the charts! Davin and I are so very proud of our little man and we can't wait to see what the future holds for him. As for me, my work is in full swing now too. I currently have five different contracts we are negotiating at work (which is VERY exciting), my grad school classes begin on Tuesday, and I can still keep up with both of my boys pretty well! Ha! True, our lives are very busy but honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way. There aren't too many greater feelings than when you feel as though you have accomplished something and you can really only achieve that if you are staying busy and doing something. We have a couple of trips scheduled soon to go spend a weekend with my family and then a weekend with Davin's that will both be fun! I have no idea what we are doing for the holidays this year since they are so far off, but I know it will be that time before we know it! We did Thanksgiving at our house last year, but I'm not sure we will do that again this year so who knows! I can't believe it's already almost SEPTEMBER! Jeez!!! This has been a tough year; one filled with a lot of loss and sadness in my mom's family and loss and sadness in Davin's too, but I think we have handled it all in stride and that we are making through just fine. I sometimes forget that since the age of 24 I was (and am) no longer any one's granddaughter since I only had one grandfather to begin with in my lifetime (Daddy's father was killed when Daddy was 19 and Mom's father died of cancer when I was only 7)and two grandmothers (one of whom I lost when I was just 17--Daddy's mom, and the other whom we all lost almost two years ago---Mamama). It makes me sad that they are all gone and that I also lost the last uncle I had earlier this year (my mom's brother Jimmy)so now I'm down to just two aunts and no uncles when I started out with five aunts and three uncles. Davin's grandmother also lost two of her sisters (great-aunts to Davin) earlier this year and both within just a few eeks of each other!That makes me sad too. One thing gives me comfort about all of this loss though: I see all their smiling faces in my son's eyes every day and I'm so grateful for that. Still though, as I sit back and catch my breath for a minute as my family prepares for a VERY busy time ahead of us, I am reminded that we all need to cherish the time we have together because it is all so very fleeting and I couldn't be more blessed with all of you who touch our lives everyday. Thank you for that and thank you for being our family, regardless of whether or not we are blood-related. I hope you all have a fantastic start to this school year and I hope to hear from you all and see you all very soon!
With love,
Spencer

0 comments: